M. Alp Ertem, Associate Professor
Ph.D., University of Arkansas, Industrial Engineering, 2008
M.S., Middle East Technical University, Industrial Engineering, 2005
B.S., İstanbul Technical University, Industrial Engineering, 2002
Humanitarian logistics, operations research applications in intermodal freight transportation, supply chain management, big data analytics and quality management systems.
Publications in Journals
- ERTEM, M. A., Isbilir, M. & Sahin Arslan, A. (2017). Review of intermodal freight transportation in humanitarian logistics, European Transport Research Review, 9(10).
- Baskaya S., ERTEM, M. A., Duran S. (2017). Pre-positioning of relief items in humanitarian logistics considering lateral transhipment opportunities, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, 57, 50-60.
- Ozkapici D.B., ERTEM, M.A., Aygüneş, H. (2016). Intermodal humanitarian logistics model based on maritime transportation in Istanbul, Natural Hazards, 83:1, 345-364.
- ERTEM, M. A., Keskin-Özcan, M. (2016). Freight transportation using high speed train systems, Transportation Letters, 8:5, 250-258.
- ERTEM, M. A. (2016). Logistics sector in Turkey and the situation of State Supply Office, (in Turkish). Journal of Productivity (Verimlilik Dergisi in Turkish). 2016 (1), 131-142.
- Özdamar, L., and ERTEM, M. A. (2015). Models, solutions and enabling technologies in humanitarian logistics. European Journal of Operational Research, 244(1), 55-65.
- Şahin, A. A., ERTEM, M. A., and Emür, E. (2014). Using containers as storage facilities in humanitarian logistics. Journal of Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Management, 4(2), 286-307.
- ERTEM, M. A., Buyurgan, N., and Pohl, E. A. (2012). Using announcement options in the bid construction phase for disaster relief procurement.Socio-Economic Planning Sciences. Special Issue: Disaster Planning and Logistics: Part 2, 46(4), 306-314.
- ERTEM, M. A., and Buyurgan, N. (2011). An auction-based framework for procurement operations in disaster relief. Journal of Humanitarian Logistics and Supply Chain Management, 1(2), 170-188.
- ERTEM, M. A., Buyurgan, N., and Rossetti, M. D. (2010). Multiple-buyer procurement auctions framework for humanitarian supply chain management. International Journal of Physical Distribution and Logistics Management, 40(3), 202-227.
- Buyurgan, N, ERTEM, M. A., and Chimka, J. (2007). Read rate analysis of radio frequency identification systems for business applications. International Journal of Radio Frequency Identification Technology and Applications, 1(2), 147-163.
Books/Book Chapters/Editorial Works
- Şahin, A. A., ERTEM, M. A., and Emür, E. (2014). Using earthquake risk data to assign cities to disaster response facilities in Turkey. (chapter in Industrial Engineering Non-Traditional Applications in International Settings, 115-134, ISBN: 978-1-48-222687-4, CRC Press)
- ERTEM, M. A., and Buyurgan, N. (2013). A procurement auctions-based framework for coordinating platforms in humanitarian logistics.(appears as a chapter in Humanitarian & Relief logistics: Research issues, case studies and future trends. Operations Research/Computer Science Interfaces, Vol. 53, 111-127, ISBN: 978-1-4614-7006-9, V. Zeimpekis, S. Ichoua, I. Minis (Eds.), Springer.)
- Şahin Arslan A., ERTEM, M. A. (2015). A capability analysis of maritime transportation for humanitarian logistics. XIII. International Logistics and Supply Chain Congress, October 22-23, 2015 Izmir, Turkey (pp. 38-48)
- Şahin Arslan A., ERTEM, M. A. (2015). Demand weighted distance and cost models for use of containers in humanitarian logistics (in Turkish). IV. National Logistics and Supplu Chain Management Congress, 21-23 May 2015, Gümüşhane, Turkey, (pp. 275-285)
- ERTEM, M. A. (2011). Forecasting day of week volume fluctuations in the intermodal freight industry. Proceedings of the IERC 2011, Reno, Nevada, USA, 21-25 May 2011.
- Lacksonen, T, and ERTEM, M. A. (2004), Optimal scope of work for international integrated systems. International Material Handling Research Colloquium, Graz, Austria, 13-17 June 2014
Funded/Sponsored Research and Industrial Projects
- Principal Investigator: Sustainable Humanitarian Logistics Through Intermodal Freight Transportation (with members A. Şahin-Arslan, M. Kahya, M. A. Akdoğan, H. Kavlak and S. Yozgat), TÜBITAK 3501 - National Young Researchers Career Development Program (CAREER), Turkey (November 2013-November 2016), Budget: 157.100TL.
- Institute of Industrial Engineers (IIE), 2005-
- The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS), 2007-